STNA Training Program
Home Care by Black Stone is Northwest Ohio’s premier STNA class provider.
- Review our Program and Student Contract
- Read our Frequently Asked Questions
- Register in person from 9-4 Monday – Friday.
- The program cost is: $275.00 (includes TB test)
- The full cost of the class must be paid to reserve a space.
- We accept cash or credit cards only.
Stay tuned for more information about our next STNA classOffice/Classroom location: 3600 Briarfield Blvd., Maumee, OH 43537 **We do not offer night or weekend classes. Click here to view the STNA Class Schedule and Dates Questions? Call Keshia at 419-861-3333
State Tested Nurse Aide Training (STNA) Program Overview & Policy ContractTo Register or for questions, phone: Keshia at 419-861-3333 Class Instructor: Deb Penn, RN We hope that this program will set our students on a path for an enriching healthcare career. In addition to teaching this class, Home Care by Black Stone is known for providing expert Nursing, Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy and Aide care for homebound patients. To this end, we are committed to training Aides to work in our community, whether it is with us at Home Care by Black Stone, working in the homecare field or with others, working at a nursing or rehabilitation facility or hospital anywhere in Toledo or Northwest Ohio. We hope that you will enjoy this experience and look forward to hearing about your work in the community. This training course prepares the students for entry-level positions as nursing assistants and as candidates for the State of Ohio Nurse Aide Examination. The focus of this course is on the care of elderly or disabled individuals in a nursing facility and in the home. Elements of the course include review of the personality characteristics and behaviors that promote physical and emotional wellness, helping to restore and maintain the greatest level of independence possible. Twenty-five state-tested skills are covered, as well as communication, patient rights, infection control, proper body mechanics, personal hygiene, body functions, basic nurse aide skills and safety. In addition, because Home Care by Black Stone serves homebound patients on Toledo and Northwest Ohio with nursing, physical therapy speech therapy, occupational therapy and home care aides help for bathing and dressing, companionship, meal preparation, errands … you will receive additional information on caring for elderly in their homes. As a bonus, this additional instruction results in a second certificate as a Home Care Aide. To receive your STNA Certificate and Certified Home Care Aide Certificate you must: Pass all quizzes (70% or better) – if you fail, you may retake a similar quiz). Complete a list of 25 skills before moving on to your clinical days (patient rights, infection control, proper body mechanics, personal hygiene, body functions, basic nurse aide skills and safety and emotional consideration of yourself, staff, clients and their families) Pass 2 final exams - (80% or better) one for the State Tested Nurse Aide Training and one for the Home Aide Certificate. Upon completion of this class, you will be given the option to sit for the state examination at our site (currently $100-not included in our class fee.) If you choose to take the State Examination, a minimum passing score of 80% is required on both the written and skills tests and your name will be placed on the Ohio Nurse Aide Registry. Cost: $275, non-refundable, cash or credit card Attendance: 100% attendance is required; no exceptions will be made for the first 16 hours of classroom lectures. No refunds. Only two exceptions will be accepted for the remaining class hours (death in your immediate family or your admittance to a hospital.) If you are excused, you will be placed (space permitting) in the next monthly series of classes. Our phone number is accessible 24 hours/day. You will be dropped from the class if you fail to give notice for your tardiness or absence. Make sure that before you register, you have reliable transportation and back up plans for child care. Refund Policy: No class fees will be refunded at any time. If you have any concerns or questions of any kind, please be sure to have them addressed before you pay for the class. Class Location: Home Care by Black Stone, 3600 Briarfield Blvd, Maumee, OH Phone: 419-861-3333 The classroom entrance is directly behind the building near the picnic tables. Parking is located on the street: Wetherfield Court (the parking lot is not available for student parking). Class hours: Day Class – 9:00am – 4:00pm classroom instruction (7:30am – 2:30pm clinicals) Clinical Locations: (The clinical location for each class will be announced by the instructor on the first day of class.)
- Rosary Care Center (Lourdes University campus), 6832 Convent Blvd, Sylvania, OH 43560
- Ridgewood Manor, 3231 Manley Road, Maumee, OH 43537
- Franciscan Care Center, 4111 N. Holland-Sylvania Road, Toledo, OH 43623
- Spring Meadows Extended Care, 1125 Clarion Avenue, Holland, OH 43528
- Neatness and cleanliness are essential (including clothing and hygiene).
- Scrub uniforms are required (any color/print acceptable)
- Neat and clean rubber soled shoes (tennis shoes are fine) and socks.
- No hats/scarves (unless for religious beliefs)
- No excessive/large jewelry. All facial piercings must be removed or covered.
- Visible tattoos must be covered.
- Hair must be off the shoulders.
- Fingernails must be no longer than ¼” past the fingertip.
- No artificial nails are permitted.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. If you are pregnant, you must provide documentation that your doctor has cleared you to complete the class.
- No Smoking anywhere on the premises of Home Care by Black Stone (building, patio, lawn, parking lot, etc.).
- No texting or cell phone use during class or clinicals.